Caramel Pecan Brownies
*makes 36 bars*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
3 tbsp cold water
CARAMEL PECAN TOPPING
1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
3 oz semisweet chocolate
1) Preheat oven to 425F. Grease 9" by 9" metal baking pan. Line pan with foil, extending foil over rim; grease foil.
2) Prepare crust: In medium bowl, with wire whisk, mix flour, granulated sugar, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, mixing lightly with fork after each addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together. With lightly floured hand, press dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. With fork, prick dough at 1-inch intervals.
3) Bake until golden (crust may crack slightly during baking), 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4) When crust is cool, prepare topping: In 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, cream, corn syrup, butter, vinegar, and salt to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla until blended and bubbling has subsided, about 20 seconds. Pour hot brown sugar mixture evenly over crust; sprinkle with pecans. Set aside to cool for 1 hour.
5) Place chocolate in 2-cup measuring cup or medium glass bowl. In microwave oven, cook, covered with waxed paper, on High until almost melted, 1 to 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Cool chocolate 5 minutes; drizzle over pecans. Place pan in refrigerator until chocolate has set, about 30 minutes.
6) When set, lift foil, with bar, out of pan; peel foil away from sides. Cut into 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 6 pieces. Store bars in refrigerator.