*makes 8 muffins*
4 slices smoked Canadian bacon, chopped
scant 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
5 tbsp sunflower oil
4 tbsp maple syrup
2/3 cup skim milk
1) Heat the oven to 400F. Line a muffin pan with 8 paper liners.
2) Microwave the bacon uncovered on an ovenproof plate on high (850W) for 3 minutes until cooked and becoming crispy. (Or dry-roast in a nonstick frying pan.)
3) Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Stir in the bacon and cheese. Make a well in the center.
4) Pour the oil, egg, half the maple syrup, and the milk into a pitcher and mix together, then pour into the well, in the center. Mix together briefly until just combined.
5) Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin liners and bake for 15 minutes, or until risen, firm, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) Serve warm, drizzled with the remaining maple syrup.
Recipe from 100 Magnificent Muffins & Scones by Felicity Barnum-Bobb