Whole-Wheat Apple Muffins
*makes 12 muffins*
1/2 cup self-rising white flour
scant 1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped dried apples
generous 1/2 cup golden raisins
scant 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
scant 1/2 cup sunflower oil
2/3 cup skim milk
2 tbsp rolled oats, for sprinkling
1) Heat the oven to 400F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin liners.
2) Sift the self-rising flour into a large bowl. Add the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, apples, golden raisins, and sugar.
3) Mix together the oil, egg, and milk and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl. Use a large spoon to mix everything together until just combined.
4) Spoon equally into the paper muffin liners and sprinkle with oats.
5) Bake for 15 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen, firm, and springy to the touch. Serve warm.
Recipe from 100 Magnificent Muffins & Scones by Felicity Barnum-Bobb