Apricot & Oat Muffins
*makes 12 muffins*
generous 3/4 cup self-rising white flour
scant 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
2/3 cup golden raisins
generous 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
scant 1/2 cup sunflower oil
finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
2/3 cup skim milk
extra rolled oats, for sprinkling
1) Heat the oven to 400F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin liners.
2) Sift the self-rising flour into a large bowl. Add the whole-wheat flour, baking powder, rolled oats, apricots, golden raisins, and sugar.
3) Mix together the oil, egg, orange zest, juice, and milk and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl. Use a large spoon to fold everything together.
4) Spoon equally into the paper muffin liners and sprinkle with oats.
5) Bake for 15 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen, firm, and springy to the touch. Serve warm.
Recipe from 100 Magnificent Muffins & Scones by Felicity Barnum-Bobb