Ok, the second recipe in 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson is Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes. After making these this weekend, and after making most things, I take everything to my job in order to share the baking love. The lucky people that got to try these all gave me amazing reviews: how moist and flavorful these were, along with how these had to be the best kind of chocolate cake/cupcake they had ever tried. Sooo... here we go!
This recipe included one variation:
Add 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips along with the vinegar.
Whichever one of these (either the original or the variation) is great, so I'd go with either one!
Here are the featured recipes:
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
*makes 12 cupcakes*
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup canned cherry pie filling (not canned cherries in juice)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup cherry juice or cranberry juice cocktail
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Line muffin pan with paper liners.
3) In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
4) In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and oil. Mix in cherry pie filling, vanilla, and almond extract. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and cherry juice, making three additions of flour mixture and two of juice, beating until batter is smooth. Mix in vinegar.
5) Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
*makes enough to frost 12 to 18 cupcakes*
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tbsp chooclate cream liqueur
1 tbsp strong brewed coffee or milk
1) In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, butter, chocolate liqueur, coffee, and salt until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
2) Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
Recipes from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson